Health Cabinet Secretary Aden Duale has declined to apologise for comments that have stirred controversy and accusations of divisiveness. Speaking at a fundraising event in Marsabit on July 25, 2026, Duale dismissed calls for an apology, insisting his statements were not hateful but rather political critique.

"I am not going to apologise. I will not back down for speaking about shares in government," Duale said, addressing criticism circulating on social media. He argued that discussing access to government opportunities should not be mistaken for ethnic attacks.

Meanwhile, Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua appealed for restraint, urging the Mt Kenya community not to direct their frustration towards the Somali community. Speaking in Embu County on the same day, Gachagua emphasised that the Somali community had done nothing wrong and that Duale alone should be held accountable for his remarks.

"Our relationship with the Somali community is strong and longstanding, especially in business. We must not allow one person's comments to divide us," Gachagua stated.

The National Cohesion and Integration Commission (NCIC) has responded by launching an investigation into Duale's statements. The commission confirmed receipt of a complaint and said its investigations department is conducting a thorough and impartial inquiry.

This controversy follows the Ol Kalou parliamentary by-election, where the Democracy for the Citizens Party candidate Sammy Douglas Kamau Waweru defeated the United Democratic Alliance candidate. Duale had previously downplayed opposition celebrations, noting that the seat was not held by UDA since the late MP was elected on a Jubilee Party ticket.